Data Specialist (Systems Analyst)
Arlington, VA • Student Supports • Posted 03/16/2023
WHO WE ARE
Rooted in community for more than 40 years, Communities In Schools (CIS) strives to bring community resources inside public schools, where they are accessible, coordinated, and accountable. Founder Bill Milliken said, “It’s relationships, not programs, that change children. A great program simply creates the environment for healthy relationships to form between adults and children. Young people thrive when adults care about them on a one-to-one level, and when they also have a sense of belonging to a caring community.”
CIS programs are conducted annually throughout the United States, serving 2,900 schools; 1.61M students with over 11,000 community volunteers and 117 CIS affiliate organizations across the country. Their programs for students include providing needs assessments, support teams with corresponding plans to address academic and non-academic needs, delivery of multiple tiers of support for both students and families, progress monitoring and evaluation and assessment with parents and student support systems.
MISSION AND VALUES
Communities In Schools (CIS), is “all-in” for kids. It is our passion—it is our mission. At the National Office, CIS collaborates with local affiliate organizations to provide resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life. We are the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization, and we achieve our mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who demonstrate a passion for what they do.
CIS also holds the following talent beliefs:
- Every staff member is passionate and committed to the mission.
- As a National Office, CIS employees have a responsibility to live our values and integrate principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across the organization and lead by example.
- In turn, CIS is committed to continuously improving decision making, incentivizing creativity, and building engagement and we do this by building a diverse workforce, fostering a climate of inclusion, and shaping business practices and policies that promote equity.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Under the direction of the Director, Data Quality; the Data Specialist, Systems Analyst will be responsible for executing implementation projects based on Director and Team Lead design requirements. The Data Specialist, Systems Analyst will execute both front-end and back-end, high-quality implementation, often in a short time frame. You will be expected to communicate frequently and clearly with teammates, perform tasks assigned to you by a predetermined deadline, and assist teammates with testing and feedback for their work.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
System Implementation (55%)
- Translate business requirements into technical documentation that can be used as a blueprint and resource for product buildout.
- Utilize MS SQL Server and the CaseWorthy ApBuilder to create or modify functionality needed by our customers.
- Implement intermediate to advanced code-solutions to create/edit/summary forms for end-users to meet monthly output goals.
- Create product testing and QA protocols to support a team to release high-quality products.
Annual Data Collection (35%)
- Use MS SQL Server and Microsoft Excel to create data templates used to facilitate a 6-month data verification process with end-users.
- Communicate with front-end users to verify data provided through the annual network-wide data collection process.
- Verify data quality to ensure accurate analysis and reporting.
End-User Resources (5%)
- Review and provide content expertise towards the development of training materials, user manuals and creation of other resources (e.g., tip sheets, training presentations, “how-to” videos). Support with network webinars and virtual trainings.
Data Analysis (5%)
- Prepare datasets for analysis and reporting (e.g., data cleaning, merging).
- Participate in network-facing webinars and other duties as needed.
- Support with internal dashboard reporting to various CIS departments.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree with 6 years’ experience in the related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Intermediate to advanced T-SQL knowledge.
- Intermediate to advanced use of Excel to include organizing, filtering, sorting, aggregating, and data transformation. (2+ years’ experience)
- Demonstrated experience working with both technical and non-technical stakeholders to deliver excellent results.
- Strong independent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional problem solver with a strict attention to detail.
- Applies innovative thinking on existing solutions.
- Ability to cross apply learned solutions to different use cases.
- Demonstrated logic and critical thinking skills.
- Strong technical writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrate a user-first approach to product development, updates, and maintenance.
Up to 25%
CIS staff continue to work in a virtual environment; however, the national office is open and available for staff to use as appropriate.
To ensure the health and safety of staff and job applicants, all interviews will be conducted by phone and/or video conference.
BENEFITS & PERKS
Work that makes a difference—the opportunity to contribute to an important mission!
Competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including:
- Five weeks of Paid Time Off
- Generous 403b Retirement Savings Plan contribution
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 90% of employee health care premiums paid by the organization
- Summer Work Schedule and Winter Break
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term income replacement programs, and much, much more!
Communities In Schools is committed to a workforce that is representative of the varied communities we are privileged to serve. We provide a work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. CIS prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For more information on Communities In Schools please visit our website.
$66,100 - $79,300
Are You #AllinforKids?
Join our community of changemakers and stay connected with us!
Learn more about the work Communities In Schools is doing to empower and equip every student to take on and tear down the barriers that stand between them and an equitable path to education.