The Program Director is responsible for the operational success of Communities In Schools of the Midlands (CISM) designated schools programs. He/she will ensure seamless team management and development, implementation of the CIS model and program quality control. The Program Director reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
Communities In Schools OverviewBy bringing resources, services, parents and volunteers into schools, Communities In Schools creates a community of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life. As the nation's largest dropout prevention organization, we serve nearly 1.5 million students in 2,300 schools.
Program Administration and Coordination:
- Oversees and coordinates the delivery of school related programs in accordance with the mission and goals of Communities In Schools.
- Develops and implements long-term objectives to achieve the successful outcome of school site service delivery.
- Ensures that school site activities operate within the guidelines of CISM policies and procedures.
- Identifies school site service gaps and develops/maintains community partnerships to provide services to fill those gaps.
- Coordinates partnerships and collaborations in conjunction with CISM Director of Development and Site Coordinators.
- Develops and maintains positive partnership relationships with designated school administrators and community partners.
- Complies with all organization operations, including but not limited to reports required by the Operations Department.
- Meets weekly with the CEO to provide updates on program operations.
- Submits Monthly Work Plans to CEO.
- Provides written and verbal reports to CISM Board of Directors as requested.
- Develops and monitors an approved annual budget to support school site operations, including scheduled receipt of proposed annual budgets from volunteer coordinator and school site staff.
- Manages the collection and maintenance of school site Communities In Schools Data Management (CISDM) information for evaluation and reporting purposes.
- Develops internal forms and records when applicable to document school site activities.
- Submits administrative reports to CEO and designated partners in a timely manner.
- In conjunction with the Director of Development, serves as staff to CISM Marketing Committee.
Staff Supervision and Development:
- In consultation with the CEO, recruits, interviews and selects well-qualified program staff.
- Oversees the training and assignment of Site Coordinators and volunteers to designated school sites.
- In consultation with the CEO, establishes reporting mechanisms and protocols for school site staff and volunteers.
- Provides direct supervision to school site and other assigned staff, making routinely scheduled visits to schools to meet with Site Coordinators.
- Holds regularly scheduled team meetings.
- Promotes the development of Site Coordinator team by providing leadership, support and guidance to establish and maintain well rounded team.
- Strives to promote and sustain cohesiveness between school and core staff.
- In conjunction with Director of Operations ensures that school site personnel files are properly maintained and kept confidential.
- Implements the Performance Appraisal process for Site Coordinators and other assigned staff.
- Provides training for Site Coordinators and other designated staff on Communities In Schools Data Management (CISDM).
Volunteer Management and Oversight:
- Establishes volunteer protocols in accordance with CISM partnership policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements goals and objectives for the volunteer program.
- Oversees volunteer resources to assist in the delivery of CISM programs and services.
*Other position and program department related tasks may be assigned by the CEO.
Essential Competencies of the Successful Candidate
- Minimum 3 year experience in nonprofit program/project management.
- Minimum 1 year experience working with school age children in a nonprofit or public school setting.
- Demonstrated management of multifaceted programs resulting in measurable successes.
- Experience working with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group.
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals to empower them to elevate their levels of responsibility and performance.
- Ability to create and foster effective team work through positive influence.
- Ability to assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information.
- Strong acumen for problem solving through established or alternative solutions.
- Establishes and maintain positive working relations with others to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Ability to set priorities and develop efficient work schedule.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in using technology as a management and data reporting tool.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs i.e., Word and Excel.
Personal Qualities and Character:
- Exhibits self-motivation and a desire to grow professionally.
- Maintains a high level of integrity and credibility in fulfilling the requirements of the position.
- Understands the importance of following position related instruction specified by CEO.
- Ability to process constructive criticism and constructively communicate operational concerns.
- Uses wise practices in sharing CISM internal written and verbal communications.
- Demonstrates a passion for and commitment to the mission of CISM.
- Program Director works from the Administrative Office, making school site visits as scheduled.
- Collaboration with other administrative staff on CISM projects is sometimes required.
- Occasional travel required for training and other professional development opportunities.
- Regular and satisfactory attendance/punctuality required.
- Valid driver’s license and car insurance prerequisite.
- Mandatory annual background checks.