20 Questions in 60 Seconds is our new blog series in which we interview Communities In Schools staff members. This week's guest is Hamid Mirshamsi, IT Consultant at the Communities In Schools National office.
1. What three traits define you?
Loyalty, Love and Family.
2. What is your personal philosophy?
Do not start something if you are not determined to finish it.
3. What's one thing you couldn't live without?
Love from all of my family and friends around me, without that life would be devastating.
4. What is the greatest challenge you have had to overcome in your life thus far?
The journey to this great land, I thought with all of the hurdles in front of me that I would never make it.
5. What is the one thing you cannot resist? (food/dessert/candy/etc.)?
Sweets for sure.
6. Where is your favorite place to be?
My family room with my kids and my wife.
7. What is your favorite thing to do?
Travel by far.
8. Where is the best place you've traveled to and why?
Brazil, because my better half is from Rio Delaneiro or as they call it Carioca.
9. What's the weirdest job you've ever had?
Inserting different sections of The Washington Post for the Sunday paper.
10. What does true leadership mean to you?
To remember that you are leading humans and not robots so treat them as you want to be treated.
11. What has been the most important innovation you have witnessed in your lifetime?
Internet by far.
12. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this?
Teacher or a counselor of sorts since that is in my nature, I come from a long line of educators in my family.
13. You're hosting a dinner party. Who are the 3 people, living or dead, who you would invite and why?
Mohammed Ali since he is the greatest, Jimi Hendrix since he was the coolest and Mohammed Mosadegh since he was one of the greatest leaders for my nation.
14. Do you have any pets? What kind?
Beagle mix, I call him my little guy since that's what he responds to.
15. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be?
Flying an F35 jet.
16. What advice do you have for kids who are struggling in school?
Remember that without struggle, human race would not be where it is right now, so do not let struggle define you.
17. What would you most like to tell yourself at age 13?
Risks will have many rewards.
18. How do you define success?
19. Tell us something that might surprise us about you?
I used to write poems but of course not in English, in my native language Farsi.
20. What is your favorite thing about working at Communities In Schools?
The staff that I associate with on a daily basis, they are my extended family.
Have more questions for Hamid? Add them to the comments below and he'll answer them!