20 Questions in 60 Seconds is our blog series in which we interview Communities In Schools staff members. This week's guest is Earnestine Peterson, Learning Management Systems Specialist at the Communities In Schools National office.
1. What three traits define you?
Energetic, humble and approachable.
2. What is your personal philosophy?
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift that's why it's called present! Live for today, not tomorrow.
3. What would you like to be your greatest accomplishment?
Writing a best seller.
4. Ten years ago, who did you think you would be now?
A motivational speaker.
5. What is the greatest challenge that you have had to overcome in your life thus far?
One of my greatest challenges was working full-time while getting my bachelor's degree during the time I was going through a divorce. I overcame, received my bachelor's degree in Information Systems and started immediately on my Masters in Business.
6. What is one thing you cannot resist? (food/dessert/candy/etc.)
7. Where is your favorite place to be?
Sitting on a beach, listening to the waves in San Diego, CA.
8. What is your favorite thing to do?
Encourage or motivate someone, sing, play drums and bowl.
9. Where is the best place you've traveled to and why?
To Okinawa, Japan to teach English to Japanese kids and work as a volunteer in an orphanage.
10. Who is your biggest inspiration?
11. What does true leadership mean to you?
True leadership means humility, commitment and trust.
12. What's the coolest (or most important) trend you see today?
Technology and how its evolved.
13. What has been the most important innovation you have witnesses in your lifetime?
The cell phone.
14. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this?
I would be a life coach.
15. You're hosting a dinner party. Who are the 3 people, living or dead, who you would invite and why?
My dad - he was my hero and he could give me more tips on living life. My mom - she can continue to motive me to do the best I can. My granddaughter - I would like her to hear the teachings I received from my parents and they can share their knowledge and wisdom to their great granddaughter.
16. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be?
Teach a motivational course on how to embrace you in this life.
17. What advice do you have for kids who are struggling in school?
Ask for help, be open to receive it and be available for the help.
18. How do you define success?
Success is preparation meeting the moment of opportunity.
19. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
I have a son who's 24 and a granddaughter who's 3. I'm also a musician and singer.
20. What is your favorite thing about working at Communities In Schools?
My favorite thing about working at CIS is the mission to help kids stay in school and graduate. CIS is a giving organization that meets the needs of those who need it.
Have more questions for Earnestine? Add them to the comments below and she'll answer them!