20 Questions in 60 Seconds is our blog series in which we interview Communities In schools staff members. This week's guest is Kevin Branch, Administrative Coordinator at the Communities In Schools National office.
1. What is your personal philosophy?
To live a life that is unconfined, no borders, no boundaries. To become a disciple of life and love through the lens of spirituality.
2. What would be like to be your greatest accomplishment?
My greatest accomplishment in life would be to know that I fulfilled the task that I was created and sent to the earth to complete.
3. Ten years ago, who did you think you would be now?
Either a fashion buyer or a television talk show host.
4. What's one thing you couldn't live without?
5. What are you listening to/reading these days?
I LOVE cool relaxing tunes from artists such as Jazmine Sullivan, India Arie, J-Cole (great lyricist), Tupac, NAS, of course Beyonce and my all-time favorite musical crush, Lauryn Hill. I am currently reading any and everything that I can get my hands on regarding the 2016 Presidential election.....Wheeeew! I am also listening to great motivational exceprts from Oprah, Les Brown and my close friend Professor and Public Philosopher, Myisha Cherry.
6. What is the greatest challenge you have had to overcome in your life thus far?
Acknowledging that I don't fit in and being okay with it.
7. What is the one thing you cannot resist? (food/dessert/candy/etc.)
Pork Rinds. I clearly know that I should not eat them BUT hey, they taste soooooo freakin' good.
8. What is your greatest fear?
Becoming a playground legend. Playground legends are the guys/girls in the neighborhood who everyone believed would be the next Michael Jordan or Serena Williams bur for some reason they never reached their full potential or got their "big break". I never want it to be said that while I was super-talented, creative and ambitious, that no matter how many successful moments life offered me, that I never made it out of my community of peers and that I never reached my FULL potential.
9. What is your favorite thing to do?
Host parties with friends and provide networking opportunities.
10. Where is the best place you've traveled to and why?
Miami! OMG. Miami allows this cage bird to SING!
11. What does true leadership mean to you?
A true leader to me is someone who isn't validated as a leader because I am following them but instead a true leader is one that understand that the first rule of leadership is service.
12. What's the coolest (or most important) trend you see today?
Men wearing watches. For me, no matter what I am wearing or where I am going a nice time piece is essential.
13. You're hosting a dinner party. Who are the 3 people, living or dead, who you would invite and why?
Oprah for sure, Lady Michelle and President Barrack Obama (can we count them as one) and Princess Diana. Simple answer: I would invite Oprah because she needs to meet me. I have already had the opportunity to meet the President and First Lady, however my father loves the first family and I would die at the opportunity to meet Princess Diana to pick her brain and learn of the inner workings of such a prestigious family and royal brand.
14. What would you serve?
Well, my father is an American Chef so he would be doing all of the cooking, not me. BUT we would definitely have lots of wine and imported Tequila for Oprah.
15. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be?
Professional traveler. Sort of like Anthony Bourdain....minus his craziness.
16. What advice do you have for kids who are struggling in school?
Talk to someone. Reach out to your peers, teachers, guidance counselors or family. You're bound to find a support system and someone who would be willing ot help you get back on track.
17. What would you most like to tell yourself at age 13?
Relax; go outside and play; know that you have been created with a magnitude of greatness and position with purpose; and lastly, stop using home remedies to clear your skin. The acne will go away and you will have flawless skin.
18. What are your three most overused words/phrases?
OMG; fierce; I can't.....I really can't.
19. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
I have 8 tattoos and I am currently working on a tattoo sleeve on my left arm.
20. What is your favorite thing about working at Communities In Schools?
The opportunity to pay it forward.
Have more questions for Kevin? Comment below and he'll answer.