PUTTING STUDENTS AT THE CENTER
Imagine a school where children are at the center of their education experience, with the support of the entire community behind them. This vision of student-centered learning drives the work of three national nonprofit organizations aligning their networks to achieve better outcomes for young people.
The Together for Students Initiative, created by the alignment of three national nonprofit youth-serving organizations; the Coalition for Community Schools; Communities In Schools; and StriveTogether, recognizes 10 communities throughout the US on plans they have initiated to bring key stakeholders, including students and families, together to support the needs of local students. Each of the 10 selected communities will receive approximately $150,000 to support the activities and goals set forth in their collaborative plans.
The selection criteria for the Together for Students Initiative was very rigorous and all award-winning communities displayed strong school district and cross-sector partnerships, the ability to scale their plans, inclusion of family and student voice, and learning opportunities for the Aligned Network Partnership.
The 10 award communities are:
- Birmingham, AL (United Way of Central Alabama)
- Chicago, IL (Thrive Chicago)
- Dayton, OH (Learn to Earn Dayton)
- Fresno, CA (Fresno Cradle to Career)
- Lehigh Valley, PA (United Way of Greater Lehigh Valley)
- Memphis, TN (Communities In Schools of Memphis)
- Milwaukee, WI (United Way of Greater Milwaukee)
- Nashville, TN (Metro Nashville Public Schools)
- Vancouver, WA (Vancouver Public Schools)
- Washington, D.C. (DC Public Education Fund)